Mobile game spending generated $61.7 billion in 2019

Mobile game spending reached an estimated $61.7 billion from consumers across both the App Store and Google Play in 2019, according to a report by mobile data analytics firm Sensor Tower. This is an increase of 12.8% from 2018’s total revenue of $54.7 billion .

Global Consumer Mobile Spending

Global consumer spending on the App Store reached $37 billion in 2019, an increase of 11.4% year-over-year (YoY) from the previous $33.2 billion. Tencent (OTCMKTS: TCTZF)’s mobile multiplayer online battle arena game Honor of Kings was the top grossing title with approximately $1.43 billion generated.

The Google Play store also saw an increase in global consumer spending, with growth of 15% YoY to $24.7 billion from 2018’s total of $21.5 billion. NCSoft Corp (KRX: 036570)’s medieval massively multiplayer online role-playing title Lineage M led the charts after grossing around $691 million.

Mobile game downloads for first-time users rose 9.9% YoY to 42.1 billion in 2019, an increase of 2018’s growth of 6.4%. Google Play accounted for a total of 78% of all game downloads at 32.9 billion, with Sea Limited (NYSE: SE)’s mobile battle royale title Garena Free Fire leading the way. Activision-published (NASDAQ: ATVI) first-person shooter Call of Duty: Mobile led the App Store, which saw mobile game installs grow 3.4% YoY to 9.2 billion.

Mobile gaming revenue represented 74% of all in-app spending in 2019. While there was a decrease of 3% from 2018’s total of 77%, this can be attributed to the growth of non-game monetization through recurring subscriptions.

Mobile game spending represented 68% on the iOS App Store and 84% on the Google Play – in total revenue.

Ethan Chen

You may also like

More in Mobile